100 SOUTH STATE AVENUE - DICKINSON, ND 58601
Dickinson Area Public Library
The Dickinson Area Public Library is a historic Carnegie Library built in 1908 with additions constructed in 1938 and 1974. The library was lacking space and with programs and services changing over the years it was in need of another update.
The addition's facade compliments the historic building by using similar elements such as window styles, precast banding, brick color and roof slope. To enhance the interior character, a turn-of-the century "bird cage" elevator was provided as a focal point. Wood trim, molding and doors were replicated in the addition to further enhance the historic character. The original tin ceiling was also restored in the 1908 portion of the library.
Functionally, the circulation desk was relocated for visual control of both the original building and the additions. The children's library was relocated to its original position in the lower level and a book mobile garage was added. The community room is now located at the entry level for ease of use after hours. The new entry is accessed through a garden style plaza, which is located over the well field for the ground-source heat system. This system will dramatically reduce heating and cooling costs.
© 2016 Hulsing & Associates Architects, P.C.